Monday, January 9, 2017

WEEK 21 - January 9, 2017 (Bangui, Philippines)



Woah, we went to work this week. It was a gooood week all around. Lots and Lots of teaching and finding this week. We found 17 new people to teach. And if the reason is because I’m white and they want to be friends with me, that’s fine, because we can change the reason after a few lessons haha... But wow, it is hot here. I’ve been sweating all day every day. 

So my first week leading the area was kinda nice. I like being able to choose where we are going and when. And being able to make sure we aren’t wasting any time. We didn’t get lost, so I’m proud of myself for that haha. 

(Elder Costales leaving Bangui)

But yeah, we have been teaching a lot of people and we have tons of investigators. The problem is getting them to church. A lot of them work on Sunday, some can’t afford the transportation. So that is one of the more difficult things. 

(in front of the church building)

Honestly, I’m starting to find a few foods that I like. I’ve had the empanadas before and I never really liked them. But then I figured out that there is a special kind of empanada. So I asked for the special and they put eggs and meat in it and it was incredible!!! All I had to do was ask for the special and pay a few extra pesos…what a find!


The language is getting a little better. I’m starting to understand a little better, and I’m okay at teaching, but conversational stuff is really tough for me right now. So it is really hard for me to build trust and friendship with people, when I struggle to even talk to them. That is one of the more frustrating things for me right now. 

I don’t have much more time to write because we have to head to Laoag for Zone Conference tomorrow, but I want to share a few good experiences I had this week.

First I want to share about a really cool dream I had the other night. In this dream, I don’t know where I was, but I looked to my right and I saw Jesus descending to the Earth. I began to run toward Him, and some others did too. But there were some people who were hiding themselves, and some running away. I got closer to him, and all of the sudden He came to me and gave me a big hug. Then we just started walking and talking like we were best friends. He knew my interests, my weaknesses, my life. He knew everything about me.  When I woke up, I knew for a fact that Jesus knows me! I began to write all of this down in my journal while it was fresh in my mind. And while I was writing I was feeling the spirit strong. That confirmed to me that this wasn’t just a random dream, but that it was to remind me that God knows us. Christ knows us. 

Just yesterday while partaking of the sacrament, I was pondering in my mind what I should bear my testimony about. I was listening to the spirit as close as I could, and I felt prompted to testify of the Atonement. So I did, and I said what I knew how to say in Tagalog. Well later, we were at an investigator’s house (one of the missionary sister’s investigators) and I could not understand everything that this man was saying, but he was talking about the atonement in his life. And while he was talking, I really felt like my testimony impacted him a little. 

So, I’m not kidding, I woke up this morning and Christmas music was still playing in Centro Bangui. I don’t think it will ever stop honestly. 


(editor: we got these this week from a member of his branch - so they are a little old...
but I couldn't help myself. Ah, Christmas.)


Love you all, have a great week. I will try to send pictures but I don’t know if they will work. This computer is really, really bad.

-Elder Jenkins

















No comments:

Post a Comment