Monday, March 6, 2017

WEEK 29 - March 6, 2017 (Bangui, Philippines)

tracting on the beach

Hello everybody. It is absolutely summer over here. It’s kinda funny how hot it is. Hopefully I’ll start to get used to it because it’s supposed to get even hotter I guess.

This week was pretty good, especially on Saturday because we had another baptism in the branch. So I’ll tell you about that a bit. We got word that the power was supposed to be out all day on Saturday (it has been like that the past 3 weeks on Saturdays), so we were planning on doing the baptism in the ocean. I was sooooo excited - everybody wants an ocean baptism, it’s way exciting. And then we woke up on Saturday morning and we had full power, no problems. So that was a bit disappointing. We ended up doing the baptism in the font, and of course, it was still a great experience. Always is.

Baptism of Ella

One thing I love about the place where we live is that like twice a week our neighbors get together and play some live music. And they are pretty good. They love playing American music too, it’s awesome. They play a lot of “Eagles”, “Journey”, “Rush”, it’s amazing haha. Some nights after we get back I just go sit down outside and relax and listen to their music. The other night, I was doing that and they started playing “Africa”. It was incredible, probably the most relaxed I’ve been in a longgg time. So that is quite a blessing to live next to those people. The music that people know here is pretty funny though. They know the most random American songs. Like the other day, somebody had no idea what “Don’t Stop Believing’” was, but they knew a random Simon and Garfunkel song.  It’s hilarious some of the songs they know by heart here.

The language went all right for me this week. It’s still really difficult, but I am kind of starting to get the hang of it. It’s definitely been something that has humbled me more than anything has in my life. Sometimes I’ll feel like I’m starting to get a bit comfortable with the language, and then the next minute I won’t understand a thing. So humbling. It’s been difficult, because honestly most things in my life that I try for the first time, I’m pretty decent at, and I can get the hang of pretty easily (mostly sports things). But the language has been troubling haha. It’s been so humbling to say the least.

So the other day, I yet again saw God watching out for me. So I got a call from my dad’s friend from work, Mike, who was in Ilocos Norte this week. He has family here and had a package for me from my family. He explained to me this story of how the package was almost lost. I’ll explain real quick. So he had my package, and he was traveling in a van, touring some spots close to where I am serving. Well his driver told him that he knew where the mission office is, and that he could just drop off the package for him later. So they left the package with the van driver, thinking he would drop it off. Well FOUR days later, Mike and his family were in the same van, but with a different driver. Mike's son was playing on his little Nintendo DS in the van and accidentally dropped the stylus on the floor. When he went to pick it up, he saw my package hidden under a mat under the seat. Who knows if the driver was gonna steal it, or just flat out forgot about it, but if they hadn’t see it, who knows if I would have got my package. Which would have resulted in a sad Elder 😢 (and parents). I know without a doubt that God looks out for all his servants out here in the field. So thankful to Mike too, for hauling the package around with him (and for his son, for dropping the stylus!)

Love you all and am so thankful for all of your prayers and support. The word is sweaty as can be, but i love it! :)

-Elder Jenkins






No comments:

Post a Comment