Monday, May 8, 2017

WEEK 38 - May 8, 2017 (Aparri, Phlilppines)


Hello everybody,

Congratulations King Louie!!! I am soooo excited to read his letters. Whoever gets to train him is a lucky guy. (Cousin Matthew got his call to serve in the Knoxville, Tennessee Mission.)

We are one week away from Mother's Day, which means we get to skype soon!! Very, very excited for that. Seems like it wasn’t long ago that I was skyping on Christmas, time is really flying. Well this week was crazy busy, and life has changed a bit.

Last Monday, we got to Laoag at about 7pm after a 6 hour bus ride. It was pretty terrible. The driving wasn't too good, so I was feeling a bit road sick the whole time, and there were tons of people packed into a kind of small bus. On Tuesday, all of the trainers met with President for a meeting. And when I got there, I was surprised to see Elder Costales (my trainer) there!! Haha He’s training one more time before he goes home. So fun to see him. We were called on plenty of times during the meeting to give experiences and advice since he trained me and we could both give feedback on each other. It was a lot of fun.

in Laoag with Elder Nelson (From Alpine)
district meeting in Laoag

We actually didn’t get to meet our trainees until Friday, so everybody got paired up with some elders in Laoag to work with for 3 days. I was lucky to get paired with the ZL's. It was a good time and I learned a ton from them. When we didn’t have an appointment, we would go find, in creative ways. We saw a house where they had a ton of coconuts. So we all bought a coconut and ate/drank it while talking to them. That’s how you gotta do it here if you want to find tons of people. Just gotta be creative. 


Honestly, I don't enjoy being in Laoag. I spend sooo much money whenever I am there. There’s so many good restaurants that I want to eat at because I have no idea when I will be back in the city. So I end up spending and spending. There is a place called Mang Inasal. it is unlimited rice. There’s McDonald’s, there’s Chowking. Tons of good places haha. If I get assigned there, my wallet is going to be empty within 2 weeks. Luckily, Justine (member in Laoag) treated us to McDonalds on Wednesday. Sooo kind.


So my trainee is Elder Reyes!! He's from Tarlac, which is actually part Ilicano. So he knows a little of Ilocano. He's awesome! I love being comps with him. We work hard!!! He had blisters on his feet from walking so much and passed out in is proselyting clothes at the end of the day haha. I love being with someone that wants to work hard. 

with Elder Reyes
with Elder Costales (center) & their trainees

We have been finding tons of new investigators. Our pool of investigators is huge. We have lots of people to teach which keeps us so busy. We had 3 investigators at church yesterday. They are great investigators, hopefully we can keep them going strong. These trips to Loaog are a bit annoying because we miss full days of work. But after this next one, we should be free of any meetings for a while. 

Saturday night we all went out to get balut again. Seems like the group is growing bigger and bigger every week. Might need to switch it to a monthly occasion instead of weekly. They love it though, and we are getting new investigators because of it. 


We are heading back into Laoag on Wednesday for our mission conference. Elder Bowen will be meeting with all the missionaries. Excited to hear from him, not so excited for the travel. Another 6 hours there, 6 back. 

I have noticed in our teaching lately the Spirit has been strong. When the Spirit is strong, the investigators understand better and they feel and realize that our message is special. There is nothing better than the feeling of the Spirit in our lives. That is why I love this work so much. I get to go into people’s homes, and help them feel and recognize the Spirit. What a privilege it is.

 Love you all. Have a great week:)

 -Elder Jenkins





No comments:

Post a Comment