Monday, July 31, 2017

WEEK 50 - July 31, 2017 (Laoag, Philippines)


Hello everybody!

So this week a huge storm came into Laoag. It was raining constantly for 3 days and there was flooding on the road and in some of the missionaries' apartments. So that made things a little difficult this week. But this week was probably the most busy I have ever been.

First, I'll tell you a bit about my companions and living conditions. I am in a threesome right now with Elder Basa and Elder Cuadra. Elder Basa is a short little elder from Tacloban, and has been in the mission for about 19 months. Elder Cuadra is from Manila, and goes home next transfer. They are real fun to be with, great guys. We have fun together and work together well. We live with the 2 office elders as well, in an apartment right next to the mission office. So there are 5 of us in the house. No hot water. No AC. But we do have running water.

With comps: Elder Cuadra & Elder Basa
Was cold enough to put on a sweater. Also excited for Christmas. 
(editor: haha- Broke out the Christmas tie we sent him.) 

On Monday, we arrived in Laoag, and the APs came and picked me up and welcomed me in. From that time it was nothing but business. We were picking people up from places, dropping them off, helping them with their luggage, getting them settled into their new apartments etc. On Tuesday, we got to help take all the departing missionaries to the airport and send them off. That was a fun experience. I think I'll have the opportunity of doing that many times before I am the one walking onto the plane haha. Then the next day, we had a training for all the missionaries that are trainers. We went and picked up all the newly arriving missionaries and had an orientation with them. Then we gave another training to the new missionaries. Transfer week is definitely the busiest week of the month, but it is a lot of fun too. Also we get fed by President Andrada a few times during that week, so there are definitely benefits.

My son and my grandson
(editor: Ryan trained Elder Reyes and now Elder Reyes is training Elder Maharry.)

We didn't get to work in our area for very long this week, but I did get to meet some of the members. Actually yesterday not many people were able to come to church because the storm was sooo bad. But the members here are sooo kind, and I'm real excited to work with them, especially our Bishop. He's a really good guy, RM (returned missionary). 

Having the opportunity of serving in this calling has been nothing but a blessing. Although it is sooo busy and a bit stressful at times, I definitely enjoy it and am so thankful. This first transfer in this position will for sure be a learning experience. I've already learned a ton and definitely have changed a bit just from this last week. It is definitely a humbling experience. Without the Lord's help, I am literally nothing. While we were giving trainings, there were times that I thought to myself "I have no idea what I'm doing, I've never done this before", and then when we get up there to train these missionaries and as I open my mouth, things really just start to flow and it all of the sudden feels familiar to me. It's such a blessing to be able to serve. I've never experienced such joy as I am experiencing right now just from serving people everyday.

Love you all, have a great week!

-Elder Jenkins





1 comment: