Hello Everybody,
HAPPY BIRTHDAY DAVO!! Big 22!! you can now rent a car or something. (is that right?) Love ya brother, have a good one.
Well believe it or not, it's a little cold here. Not cold in the afternoons, but in the morning and at night it's been a little chilly lately. Which is making my cold showers in the morning even colder. (editor: I looked it up... low of 70.) Christmas is getting closer and closer and you can feel it in the city. There is a Christmas event at the plaza almost every night, which gives us a nice opportunity to talk to a lot of people.
Speaking of events at the plaza, our "Light the World" event turned out great! Last Monday we were at the church for 5 hours trying to put a nice little choir together. It kinda turned into a me telling people to be quiet, listen, and stop messing around kinda day. Tuesday after our MLC meeting in the morning we gathered everybody in the zone together again for our last practice before the big event. It was kinda hectic and we definitely could of used more time and practice, but it was good enough. So we all walked over to the plaza. There were a total of 70 missionaries in the choir, so there were a lot of us. Our part was at the middle of the program, so when it was our turn to perform, there were lots of people in the plaza. After the first song, it was our (APs & office elders) turn to give our little presentation. I think once we got up there everybody's voices started shaking a bit. It was also our first time singing with mics, so we were all off a bit, but it turned out pretty decent. We all wish we could perform it again cuz it was a lot of fun. Definitely a good memory that we won't forget. Altogether, the event went really well. We didn't get too many referrals from it, but we definitely got the missionaries more well known in Laoag. There have been a few times where we will be out working and then somebody will come up and say, "Hey we were at your concert the other night!" haha So it was a very successful event. I'll try to get the file from President that has all the pictures on it, because I didn't have my camera with me during the thing. So I'll try to send some pics and videos soon.
Besides that, we had an awesome week of work. We were able to make daily contact with the two families that are progressing and both the families were able to make it to church yesterday. One of the families has a baptismal date of the 23rd. The other family's baptism date is on January 6. They have come to church 2 times now and are reading the Book of Mormon consistently. This next week we will have 2 sets of exchanges with ZLs, so we will be able to get a lot of work done.
The other day I finished the Book of Mormon again, and continue to feel its great spiritual power, especially as I read through the last chapters of Moroni. As I try and reflect what effect this "Spiritual Power" has on me, I always seem to think back to Samuel the Lamanite standing upon a wall crying repentance. People are trying to kill him, throwing stones and shooting arrows. The stones seem to miss or fall short of him, and even the sharp arrows can't seem to pierce his skin. All of this because of the spiritual "shield" that he has around him. That is the kind of shield that I want with me every day. Something to protect me from the sins and temptations of the world. I've realized that through scripture study, sincere prayer, a clean mind, and a pure heart, this spiritual protection can be with me all day. The companionship of the Holy Ghost and the spiritual power I am given through the Atonement are such blessings in my life.
Love you all, have a nice Christmassy week :)
-Elder Jenkins






No comments:
Post a Comment