and then there were 9 toenails ... again :(
Hello Everybody!
So this week was full of good news and bad news. I'll start with the bad, painful news. So remember about 6 months ago, back in July when I had to get my toenail ripped off because of the ingrown/infection. Well my toe has been doing great since then. Actually had almost grown all the way back. Well, while walking around the other day, I started to notice a sharp pain in the same spot of my toe. At the end of the day, I took off my shoe, and sure enough my toe was looking red, swollen and not normal. The next day I went to the hospital to get it checked out, and the doctor put me on some antibiotic, but told me if it doesn't improve by the end of the week, they were gonna have to take off the toenail. Fast forward to Saturday morning, the infection had gotten a little bit better, but the sharp pain of the ingrown cutting into my skin was still there. So again, I was laid down into a hospital bed and the memories from Aparri came right back. This time for sure though hurt wayyy more. I cringe every time I think about the doctor inserting the anesthetics in my toe. At one point I questioned if it would hurt less if he skipped the "sinking a needle 5 times into my toe" and rather just ripped the ol' nail off right away. The anesthetics weren't as effective as they were either when I had the operation done 6 months ago. So I was a bit surprised by the pain of the removing of the toenail this time. When he got it off, I thought it was over, but then he started scraping off the dead skin or something. Actually I'm still not sure what he was scraping at, but it was absolute torture! So I am glad that all that is over. I left the hospital really hoping to never have to get an operation done here again. But the good thing is that my toe is feeling better now. I'll probably be in flip flops for a couple weeks again, but I bought a nice comfy pair, so I'll be fine. So there's that. Hope you guys enjoyed that story haha.
MLC missionaries
So the good news is that Cassandra and Kim were baptized yesterday! We had been really busy all week with MLC (Mission Leadership Council) stuff and being at the hospital, so if we had time, we were over helping them get prepared for the big step in their life. They're the first ones to be baptized in their family, but we have committed their sister and their aunt to be baptized on the 20th. My goal is to have their whole family baptized before I get transferred. Hopefully I never get transferred, I love the area so much, we are having so much success.
Speaking of transfers, transfer texts were on Saturday night. Of course with Elder Basa going home, we weren't sure if we would be getting another companion and be in a trisome again or if it would just be me and Elder Holmes. Well we found out that we will be getting a new companion and will be in a trisome again! Our new companion is Elder Morehu! Maybe you remember him from Aparri? We lived in the same apartment for 3 months. Such a stud, one of my best friends in the mission. So we are wayy excited.
celebrating Elder Basa before he heads home
So even though this last week was rather painful when I look back at it, it was also a spiritual one. I actually had a nice experience while we were in the hospital. So I didn't mention this, but in the hospital we were waiting in the waiting room for about 3 hours before they started my operation. During this 3 hour wait, the anticipation was brutal. I had the operation before, so I knew the pain that was coming. Of course during this time I was feeling a little stressed and had some discomfort. So I went ahead and said a silent prayer in my heart asking for comfort. After that, my thoughts went to the Savior, and the anticipation before he suffered in the Garden of Gethsemane. He knew what He would suffer, and it was far much worse than a toenail operation. He knew that he would not only have to suffer, but die. All of this to overcome the sins of the world, to overcome death, and to complete His mission here on earth. Knowing that the Lord has suffered every pain, sickness, temptation or anything that we go through in life gives us hope and comfort. He did all of that for us. In that hospital waiting room, I felt my Saviors love.
Alma 7:11-12.
Love you all, have a nice week :)
-Elder Jenkins
ALMA 7
11 And he shall go forth, suffering pains and afflictions and temptations of every kind; and this that the word might be fulfilled which saith he will take upon him the pains and the sicknesses of his people.
12 And he will take upon him death, that he may loose the bands of death which bind his people; and he will take upon him their infirmities, that his bowels may be filled with mercy, according to the flesh, that he may know according to the flesh how to succor his people in their infirmities.
art by J. Kirk Richards
from the book This Is Jesus

No comments:
Post a Comment