Monday, April 23, 2018

WEEK 88 - April 23, 2018 (Santa Ana, Cagayan Valley, Philippines)

Family Home Evening :)

Hello Everybody!

Well, this week was just another one of those hot, humid, sweaty weeks.

Turned into a bit of a stressful week really quick when I went to open the computer at the church and found out that the MLS (Church record system) wasn't working. It turned into me sitting in an office, sweating, wanting to punch the computer as I call the GSC (Church Office) over and over and try to get assistance. After 3 days, we finally got it figured out and everything is good to go. 

Sunday was a good but really busy day. When I woke up in the morning, I had a sore throat and a bit of a cough. Was struggling to talk regular and it seemed like every time I tried to talk, my voice would squeak over and over. Haha this made things a bit difficult as I had a lot of interviews to do (Branch President work). And then when it was time for Sacrament Meeting, all 3 of the people that were assigned to give talks didn't show up. So I looked over at the 2 elders and gave them the nod and I was able to give a long concluding talk. However, it was still a good meeting. The Gonzales family showed up to church along with Lea, who will be baptized next week. I made the announcement that starting in May, Sacrament Meeting will be first instead of last. People were a little surprised, but all are on board.  

We were able to do a lot of finding this week in our area. We decided to get a little more creative in our finding approaches and decided to only speak English to people. When we do this, the people we talk to really struggle to speak, but they try their best. Then all the sudden I will start speaking Ilokano to them, and they just start cracking up. They feel so relieved. The people are so nice here though, so easy to get along with them and love them. Lately Elder Abarabar and I have been praying for a new family to teach. Had a little miracle the other day when one of the members took us over to the house of a family that said they want to be taught about the gospel. 

Had yet another great spiritual experience this week. We were working at one of our further away areas and were in a lesson when all the sudden I started sneezing uncontrollably. My nose was plugged up and I was struggling to speak without coughing. This happened for about an hour, then I decided we needed to go home. So we hopped into a center car (bigger version of a tricy) and started heading home. All the sudden I got the impression that we shouldn't go home quite yet. So I said a quick prayer and decided we would get off at the next barangay (neighborhood) and go finding. When we got off, I started to feel a little better and my sinuses cleared up a bit. At this point, we knew something great was going to happen. Of course, like we were expecting, we were guided to a great family, hidden back behind a field and in between some trees. We were able to teach them and give them a Book of Mormon. They told us to come back and continue to teach them. The greatest thing about this experience for me wasn't just the fact that we were lead to a great family. I have seen this over and over in my mission. It was the fact that when the Spirit prompted me to stay out longer, I knew that this was a true prompting and would result in good. A great thing that I have gotten out of my time here is the trust that I now have in the Spirit. When He prompts me, there is no doubt I will follow this prompting. It is a great two way trust that always results in happiness. 

Love you all, have a great week!

-Elder Jenkins







No comments:

Post a Comment