Wednesday, October 4, 2017

WEEK 59 - October 4, 2017 (Laoag, Philippines)


Hey everybody :)

Man we were real busy this last week, so the time really flew by. Also all last week we were looking forward to our planned MLC trip to Pagudpud. So this last week was really a memorable one. 

One of the days that I really enjoyed from this last week was when I got to go on exchanges with one of the Zone Leaders, Elder Reynolds. He's a straight surfer out of Hawaii, and just a good guy to be with. Such a good missionary. We just buckled up and went to work. Taught some great lessons, found some new investigators, and just talked to tons of people. I really enjoy going on exchanges with other foreigners. Two white guys going street to street speaking Tagalog and spitting out some Ilocano, preaching the gospel. Such a fun time. Also just learning from each other in the language. Every foreigner is different in speaking the language and they have different strengths and weaknesses with the language. We learn from each other and improve. So that was a fun day. And now I have somebody to show me to the big waves when we go to Hawaii :)



The members have been helping a lot lately in our work. The other day, one of the young women in our ward invited 4 of her friends to the institute building, which gave us an opportunity to teach them. Towards the end of the lessons, these guys were asking questions like "What do I need to do to get baptized?" "What do I need to do to go on a mission like you?" haha these guys were solid. Such a blessing that the members are so willing to help with the missionary work. Speaking of new investigators, elder Reynolds and I were finding the other day, and we found a lady who quickly invited us into her home. She went on to say that all 8 of her siblings are members, and she's the only one who isn't, but that she wants to listen to us. Then we found out that her house is actually filled with college students, renting out a room for the year. She said she wants to introduce them all to us and have us teach them haha. Such a blessing, lots of potential there.


So on Sunday night, all of the Zone Leaders and STLs traveled into Laoag like they always do on the first Sunday of the month. But this time instead of preparing for Mission Leadership Conference the next day, we were all getting ready for a road trip! So on Monday morning we hit the road early, heading to the tourist spots in Ilocos. We had three total vans of people. President drove one, we rented one, and then I drove one. So that was probably the most careful I have ever driven in my life, besides maybe the time grandpa let me drive his corvette. (Not saying I didn't drive safe back home before the mission hah). First we all headed to the Lighthouse in Burgos and took lots of pictures, then went on the Kapurpuruan. This was my second time to both those places, so it was nice to go back again. After that, we headed to the Bangui windmills. That was one of the parts I enjoyed the most since Bangui was my first area. Our next destination was to Hannah's beach, where we had our lunch. This was my 3rd time there, so I kinda became the tour guide, but it was a lot of fun. Got sunburned pretty good, but we took tons of pictures. Our last destination was Patapat Bridge. Just a stop by, to get a quick picture. Then we headed home back to Laoag in time for the Birthday of President and Sister Andrada's youngest son, Nathaniel. 






So about halfway through Nat's bday party, we had to leave and take one of the missionaries that just finished his mission to the airport. Elder Basa, the office elders, and I took off. We ended up getting there a little late, not too late, still 35 minutes or so before his flight. So he passed through the security and then one of the people told us that the elder couldn't go, because we were too late, which didn't make sense to me because the plane wasn't taking off for another 30 minutes. Then the elder, standing at the counter looked back at us through the window and shook his head, saying they weren't gonna let him on. At this point I was a bit angered and frustrated. I felt prompted to pass through the security and talk to the people. As I was walking to them, I wasn't quite sure how I was gonna convince them to let him on the plane. If it was gonna take a 1000 pesos under the table, or if I was gonna yell at em. I wasn't sure. But I walked up and saw the kinda worried face of the elder. I opened my mouth and started talking to the people at the counter. As I talked, words were just being put in my mouth with what I needed to say to them. Words were just flowing through my mind, without a doubt coming from my closest companion. Little by little, they began to give in. And although it did take a little arguing with them at the end, our elder was able to get on the plane and head home to see his family. As I walked out of the airport, the elders outside were a bit shocked. They were asking how I did it, what I said to them, how I got them to give in. I just walked in silence, thinking about how that happened, so humbled and feeling so blessed that the Lord was there to guide me. There is nothing more special to me than the gift of the constant companionship of the Holy Ghost. What a blessing it is to be guided by our Savior in any aspect of our lives.

Love you all, have a good one!

-Elder Jenkins









No comments:

Post a Comment