Another week down, and this one was a successful one:) On Saturday we had the baptism of Nanay Clarita. It was in the ocean again and Elder Young did the baptism. Weather was just perfect, a little overcast, just a little breeze, and the water was pretty calm. After Nanay was dunked in the water, she started to take a swim she was so happy.
Funny and kinda weird story about Nanay's husband. Every time we used to go to their house, he would get mad at us and complain because we didn't bring any alcohol for him or a snack. So we decided to get him a nice little snack one day and went to his house. When we showed up and presented him our nice little offering, he was chapped! We were expecting him to light up and welcome us into his home, but not so. He got angry and said "That's it? That's all you bring me. What is this? I'd rather feed this to my cat than eat this." hahaha I just lost it and started busting up laughing. We thought he would be so satisfied - oh well.
On Wednesday, we went on exchanges with the other elders here in Santa Ana. I was looking through a list of less actives and saw one that lived soooo far away, but back then he was a really active member. I felt like we should go visit him, even though it very far, and invite him back to church. So we traveled all the way out there, was about a 30 minute ride in a tricy up and over a few mountains, and we made it to his house. We talked to him for a bit and he said the missionaries haven't been out to his house in a year or so, so he was a bit surprised when we showed up. We had a nice little lesson, but he kinda made it clear that he's not so sure he would be able to make it back to church, because of his new wife who is a fully devoted Born Again. So we left the house a little disappointed. At this point we were a little worried we weren't gonna be able to get a ride back and would have to walk 15 kilometers through the mountains and rice fields. It was only 2:30pm but everybody was saying there are no more vehicles. But we decided to visit one more house. When somebody came out and greeted us and as we talked to her, we found out that she was an inactive member. We taught her and she committed to come back to church. And yesterday, she and her kids were there at church! So that made our long journey out to the boonies 100% worth it. And, in case you were wondering, we did find a tricy to take us back.
Church yesterday was great. Our Sacrament attendance went up once again. We had 92 people attend church, so we are improving. The Branch is starting to get excited again and are becoming more committed to help the branch grow. I have really felt the guidance of the Spirit while making decisions in the Branch and calling people to different callings. I am so thankful for the effect The Spirit can have on a person. Our Elders Quorum President came up to me the other day and said, "Elder, the talk you gave the other day about exercising your faith woke me up and I realized I need to be doing more missionary work. So every Saturday, I'll pick you guys up in my van and we will go work." No doubt, the influence of The Spirit moved this man, and helped him become better. I love the work and the Spirit I feel every day. What I am doing right now and the mission I am serving is for sure the work of The Lord.
Love you all, Happy Birthday, Little Kenny!
No comments:
Post a Comment