First of all, congratulations to Mark Griffitts! Called to the best mission in the world. If you want to start you preparations, start taking cold showers and don't use toilet paper... but if I were you, I would cherish taking hot showers and using paper until the day you enter the field haha. (Mark is a member of our home ward who just got his call to Ryan's mission. They'll miss each other by one week!)
Well this week was a real eventful week. One of the members in our Branch is a fisherman, and lately he's been catching tons of lobster and crab. So we have been fed real well this week. Even though we live on the beach, seafood is sooo expensive here. They jack up the prices because of all the rich Chinese people (vacationers) here that buy seafood. So it is always a treat when we get fed a nice seafood meal.
So one of our investigators, Rodolfo, is progressing well towards baptism. He has been doing a good job at throwing out the coffee and cigarettes and has attended church for 5 weeks straight. Even though he is 64 years old, he still works almost every day in the rice field. We felt bad for him because he says he works alone out there and has nobody to talk to, so we told him we would hit the bukid (farm) with him on Wednesday morning. So Wednesday morning, we woke up at the break of dawn, grabbed our knives, and went to work with Tatay Rodolfo. He was soo happy to have somebody to work with him. But I'll be honest, I never want to have to work in the rice fields again haha. It is soooo hot and humid and just wore me out. But we were able to have a good time with Tatay. He will be baptized this Saturday.
Sunday was a really good day. We got to the church early, at about 7:30 to get everything set up and ready to go, and to my surprise, lots of people started showing up at around 8, and before the start at 9, we almost had a full room. Ended up being a really good service and had 98 attendance. We are working real hard to get that up to a consistent 100 before July. (Right now they meet in a rented building. If there is consistantly a large congregation attending weekly, a new building will be built for them in Santa Ana. This is a BIG deal!)
Saturday, however, was not such a good day. To start it off, I woke up with a bad fever and diarrhea. I got up in the morning and tried to work through it, but ended up just heading back home. I slept for about 4 hours then woke up and felt like we needed to go visit one of our investigators named Ronnie. So I mustered up the strength to get dressed and go out again to go visit this man. When we arrived at his house, to our surprise, we found him lying in a casket. He had died the day before from a sudden illness. He left behind his wife and 7 children, 3 of them still being pretty young. He had come to church 3 times now and was planning to be baptized this month. My already sick stomach and weak body just about gave out after that, so we headed back home. We were sooo sad, and I went back to sleep in sadness. When I woke up however, I all of the sudden felt happy. The knowledge I have about the Plan of Salvation shot through my mind and I knew that God's plan really is a plan of happiness. Oh how hard and scary death would be if we had no knowledge of the God's plan for us. I'm so happy for the testimony that I have.
Love you all, have a nice week!! Happy Birthday to me :)
- Elder Jenkins
See D & C 121 for help on these trials! You're doing a great work. Keep the faith. Saw Davis at church yesterday with his semi curly hair, looking good.
ReplyDelete