Monday, February 26, 2018

WEEK 80 - February 26, 2018 (Santa Ana, Cagayan Valley, Philippines)


Hello Everybody!

Wow, a lot of change has happened in the past week, so I'll try to update you the best I can. First of all, the new area here in Santa Ana is beautiful! Right up next to the mountains, right along the beach. It rains almost every day here & gets a little chilly at night, but when it's not raining it is scorching hot. Unfortunately, coming from Laoag, adjusting to this place is a little tough. It is just way out in the boonies. And even the schedule is just so different. People wake up at about 4 or 5 am and go to bed at 7 or 8. Once the clock hits 7, almost everybody is back into their homes, getting ready for bed. It's crazy, we can't even get a tricycle after 6:30. So we have had to change our working schedule around. We work in the morning until night, then at night we go in and do our studies. It's a whole different lifestyle here in Santa Ana. 

Heading out to work at sunrise....
or heading home at sunset??

My comp, Elder Young, is a really good guy. Willing to work hard and very kind. Our apartment is pretty good, but the showers are absolutely freezing again. Brutal. 


As for the area, we have a few areas that are pretty far away. We have to take a van to get there. One of our areas is right next to a naval base. We have tried to get in a few times because there are some less active members who live there, but we haven't been able to get in yet. Apparently Duterte will be coming there for some reason. Not sure if that's true or not. Some of the walks we make from one area to another are really beautiful though, I will send some pictures. One other thing about Santa Ana, is that there are a lot of Casinos. Like nice casinos that a lot of Chinese, Taiwanese, sometimes Ukrainian, and other foreigners come to. It's kinda weird to me that in this little town in the jungle, there are these big casinos. So there are a lot of people coming from random countries that we have met. Also something that we have noticed is that pretty much every young adult woman that we meet almost for sure works at the casino.


As for the language, my Ilokano has improved like none other this past week. The people here love speaking Ilokano, and sometimes we will meet people that only speak Ilokano, no Tagalog (mostly old people). It's fun seeing the reaction of some people when we speak Tagalog to them, and they are a little shocked. Then we start speaking Ilokano and they can't believe it. It makes finding people to teach really easy. 


So the big news for this letter is that I have a calling here in Santa Ana. I had a meeting with President Andrada the day before I traveled out here, and he told me that they needed me to serve as the Branch President* here in the Santa Ana Branch. I willingly accepted and now, well I am a very busy guy haha. Yesterday we had our Branch Conference and I was called and sustained as the BP. The members were all a little surprised, but they are so kind and loving. I love the people here in Santa Ana. I'm very excited to help strengthen this Branch and do all I can to help the people here in Santa Ana before I head home. There is a lot to do, but I am very excited. By the end of this time I have here in Santa Ana, my knees will probably have changed color because of how much I will be on them asking the Lord for guidance. I have been so blessed in my mission with being kicked out of my comfort zone and been given opportunities to change and grow so often. 

Santa Ana Branch boundaries 
I asked if he'd be going the island. He said he didn't think so.

Love you all, have a nice week :)

-Elder Jenkins

* Branch President is the leader of a local congregation of Church members. Ryan said that his congregation consists of about 70 active members right now.




No comments:

Post a Comment